Each dynasty has left its mark on China. Even today, the Chinese refer to historical events not by their date but by the dynasty in which they took place. That's why you need to know your dynasties!
Take our quiz and match the cards to the dynasty. See how many you can get right before the time runs out…
Correct: 0 out of --
Time Remaining 03:00
Which dynasty was it?
- Shang 1766-1132 BCE
- Tang 618-970 CE
- Song 960-1279 CE
- Ming 1368-1644 CE
- Qing 1644-1912 CE
Here are some reminders about the Shang Dynasty to help you improve your score:
- During the Shang, writing developed and people made sophisticated bronzes.
- The Shang were based in the Yellow River Valley and they had a capital at Anyang.
- The Zhou people ended Shang rule, overthrowing Di Xin, a famously wicked king!
Here are some reminders about the Tang Dynasty to help you improve your score:
- During the Tang, Buddhism flourished, and brilliant emperor, Tang Taizong, ruled from the wealthiest capital in the world, Xi'an.
- Everyone loved poetry!
- Sadly, after 300 years, the dynasty disintegrated.
Here are some reminders about the Song Dynasty to help you improve your score:
- The Song dynasty was a period of brilliant innovation.
- The capital was first in Kaifeng, then moved to Hangzhou.
- The Song was overthrown by invading Mongols.
Here are some reminders about the Ming Dynasty to help you improve your score:
- The Ming was founded by Emperor Hongwu.
- It is famous for porcelain, the amazing Forbidden City in Beijing, and Zheng He's voyages to Africa.
- It ended in tears and the Manchus invaded.
Here are some reminders about the Qing Dynasty to help you improve your score:
- The Qing fought the Opium Wars against the British.
- They survived the Boxer & Taiping Rebellions.
- The Qing finally fell after the 1911 Nationalist Revolution.
- Kangxi, arguably China's greatest emperor, ruled for 60 years.
- Dream of the Red Chamber, one of China's best-loved novels, was written.